Ad Radar
Rod & Custom
Click here to find out more!

anyone running Packard V8 power in their rod?

Rod & Custom
Item Posts    Sort Order

anyone running Packard V8 power in their rod?

Rindy Rindy
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/20/13
03:09 PM

Something I virtually never see, but DO remember from 'back in the day' is that there was a following for the Packard V8... they were only built for 2 years, '55 and '56. 320, 352 and 374 cu.in. displacements, all three sharing a 3 1/2" stroke. In 1956 (only year for the 374) Packard had the distinction of having the largest displacement, 2nd-highest horsepower rating, & the highest torque rating of ANY US manufacturer, Cadillac and Chrysler included! A number of guys ran Packard V8s in drag cars back in the mid to late '50s, and I'm pretty certain there was even a limited number of aftermarket speed parts available for the Packard V8 back then. Talk about 'rare'! The Packard V8 was basically similar in configuration to the early Olds & Caddy V8s, but on 'steroids'. It had 5" bore centers, so was designed to be opened up to much larger displacements in future years... in fact Packard engineers had plans for a 440" version for '58 but it never saw the light of day. Packard offered a dual-quad version of the 374 in 1956. Also the '56 374 used the same dual-snorkel air cleaner that Caddy & Olds used, purchased from the AC div. of GM.
I'd LOVE to see a feature in Rod & Custom on the Packard V8, or a feature with a Packard-powered rod!
  thanks fer your time,
     Rindy  Smile
  from north-central Ohio