Non-auto, painting fiberglass question

Rod & Custom
Item Posts    Sort Order

Non-auto, painting fiberglass question

rtcfrtc rtcfrtc
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/20/13
08:11 AM

Hi, I'm looking for help on restoring the paint on a life size fiberglass cow (art piece). I'm hoping that someone here has knowledge of specific products (or can point me in the general direction).  This is bit by bit removal of failed paint areas, so that the artwork information is not lost and can be matched and replaced, no spraying except top coating. Proper priming and seal coats for this type of material/outdoor installation are not my area of expertise.          
I understand this is a long shot...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
New User | Posts: 19 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 02/20/13
09:16 AM

i worked as a kid with my dad in a specialty paint store here in hollywood.. a store called mann brothers paints.. they still have specialty paints.   they have/had a product called plastic primer that was designed for fiberglass priming with a zolatone top coat.  products have changed since i worked then..

but i am going to bet that you are going to need to visit your local automotive paint store and catch one of the factory paint manufacturer reps.. the factory reps can really help you ..

you will need the services of the local automotive paint store to blend your colors or to get you close  with some thats slightly lighter than the lightest parts and some slightly darker than the darkest parts of your painted areas... so you can blend small batches to apply to match the missing areas..    

my little sister (rip) had the ability to blend colors to come up with a perfect match.. she worked with multiple colors in dip type containers to blend the colors right on the brush to match the existing colors.

you may also want to check into the spot type sand blasters.. where you push the gun nozzle boot to the surface and the sandblasting is localized to a small area.. there are various media that you can use.. many grades of sand or glass beads.. multiple sizes of ground wallnut shell..  
there is even baking soda pellet soda blasting.. dry ice blasting. and what you are going to end up with..  plastic pellet blasting..

this is a spot blaster.. there are several versions.. with different diameter boot openings..

Atd 84703

i am not saying that any of this will work.. just trying to help you get the right knowledge to assist you..

you might want to stop by some body shops and see if they have any broken fiberglass pieces you can use as samples to gain experience on...  print up some small flyers with your phone number on it.. they will usually gladly give you some crushed car parts..