mounting Pontiac V8 with modern stub frame

Rod & Custom
Item Posts    Sort Order

mounting Pontiac V8 with modern stub frame

RumRunner1 RumRunner1
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 08/24/12
11:02 AM

Hey Gang! need some options and would like some feed back on my ideas please. first of all I have a 1949 Pontiac club coupe,sport coupe, business coupe deluxe or whatever literature you read the notchback 2 door coupe (long trunk, small 1/4 window) whew,,, anyhow, I have a fatman fab mark 111 with coil overs installed and am currently building a fire breathing 1966 pontiac V8 to rest between the now new frame rails, my concern is, the Poncho motor of that year vintage has only 2 motor mount holes located centraly on the block and when mocking up the engine I find the holes are too far away from the crossmember/upper control arm boss, basically the holes are too offset rearward.. nontheless, I am a pontiac enthusiast and know from 1970-1979 the additional holes are on the 400,455.etc. for the f-body chassis. I do not want to use a newer type engine as the 389 brings the nostalgic factor to my resto-mod...I had an idea as to use the engine adaptors sold by jim butler and that offsets the engine mount to a mor forward position like a sbc/bbc. with that being said does anyone have pictures/ideas they could throw my way. I really dont want to have the extra long unsupported half moon round bar mount i have seen in the past i want it to look professional and clean, Thanks for any ideas/pictures/ Cool  
Widetrack,Superduty,Ram-Air.The chief will never die!

waynep71222 waynep71222
New User | Posts: 19 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 08/25/12
05:48 AM

question... is there room between the new frame brackets to slide your pontiac motor and have it at the proper height??  sure looks wider than a chevy..

66 389

do you have a vertical mill to do some brackets.. or do you have a friendly steel fab shop nearby..

where you can have some steel plate bent..   then add some to the lower bend where the bolts will stick through and into the block..   this might allow you to establish the small block bracket locations with a nicely prepared brackets..   it looks like the Y part of your pontiac block is wider than a small block chevy already..  

there is one other thing...  sonic test or measure the thickness of the block on the outside of the deck surface.. and at the oil pan rail...  see if there is enough material there to install blind solid thread inserts...   then you could create a bracket that spans the standard chevy block pattern across the side of the block... will this create extra forces where the block was NOT designed to absorb or distribute them. probably.. i am not sure.. i never looked at the block for that reason..

it will probably be a LOT easier to make the offset bent ping pong paddle shaped brackets.

or cut and weld new mount horns to the frame..

these are just early early morning thoughts..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
New User | Posts: 19 | Joined: 05/12
06:00 AM

with a lathe and a mill.. one could even create double D shaped plates to fit through the freeze plug holes.. with an Oring sealed outer plate that bolts to the inner plate...  copper washers sealing the probable 3 bolts to hold the 2 pieces together.. with a single threaded hole in the middle of the 3 pinch bolt pattern.. so you could have at least one bolt hole near the proper location to support the motor..   i don't know if the block will support this either.. might shatter the side of the block when you drop the right foot..

that  66 389 block above does have some reinforcing above and below the front freeze plug hole...

if you think the side of the block in that area is thick enough.. you could make the outer plate with the 3 bolts to the inner D shaped plate..off set to allow chevy mounts...   chuck the bracket face down on a rotary table to create the plug shape and the Oring groove  on the stub..  its a lot of metal to remove to make it right.. but it might be worth it..

early mornings are sometimes productive...  

RumRunner1 RumRunner1
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 09/11
07:41 PM

Hey wayne" Thanks for the ideas! I have access to a complete mill metal fab shop and it just happens to be the school I'm attending at nights to achieve my welding certificate.. I already have a Mock block nestled in between the rails already and yes, the Pontiac block is a little wider but I have seen big block chevys installed in the 49-52 chevy,olds,pontiacs on such vehicle was the basis for my motivation for my project which was an article in this very magazine it was a 1950 oldsmobile 88 coupe owned by "dick and cindy long. (check it out) and monsterous big block was installed with a fatman fab front stub... the Pontiac is in between sbc and bbc imo. anyways, i have called fatman fab and will be in contact with them on monday for a tech assist conference as to the suggested installed height an such. there are no provisions on the new frame for a frame bracket (you must make your own) and i knew that, however, i am not too sold on drilling and tapping my block and cobbling together a network of angle iron, the length of the pont block and small block and width are not to far apart I just measured them in my garage so packaging is not an issue. the idea is to get the engine low and close to the firewall (with service room) but i think untilizing the engine mount adapters will be the ticket! then i can fab the frame mounts closer to the strong stub structure insted of coming off the frame sides and grossly extending to meet the motor mount (hope that makes it clearer) thanks for the response! any other ideas are more than welcome!  
Widetrack,Superduty,Ram-Air.The chief will never die!