48 Buick 8

Rod & Custom
Item Posts    Sort Order

48 Buick 8

countrywill countrywill
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/30/12
08:13 PM

I have a 1948 buick 248 inline 8 that is all stock. I felt a loss of power and it started to knock while under acceleration. I pulled it in the garage, pulled the oil pan off and started feeling around and found that a rod was moving around on the crank. I pulled the cap off and came to find out there are NO removable bearings!! Heres the issue...none of the nuts were loose, everything was the way its suposed to be. I cant afford a complete rebuild im just looking to keep it running so the city dont say nothing...any help would be great Thanks Will Confused  

dtracy dtracy
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/03/12
10:35 AM

Buy some PlastiGuage and check the clearence on the rod.  If the crankshaft is not scored or flat, and the rod is not beat out, you can tighten the rod with a flat mill file.  You can lookup this procedure in an old mechanics manual for reference.  

countrywill countrywill
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 02/06/12
10:33 AM

The crank is still good no scoring or anything, the bearing did have a little on it though. Heres my next question whats your opinion on replacing the rods and pistons only instead of doing a full overhaul on it?  

dtracy dtracy
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/08/12
04:42 PM

You mean taking the rods and pistons from another engine or new rods and pistons?

It can be done with used parts, if they're standard sized.

Either way you will need a set of rings and gaskets.  Have the valves done while the head is off.  And you'll still need that flat mill file and plastigauge to adjust the rods.  If they're too tight add shims between the cap and the rod.  Refer to an old mechanical manual for this procedure.