Ad Radar
Rod & Custom
Click here to find out more!


Rod & Custom
Item Posts    Sort Order


minors23089 minors23089
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/05/11
06:32 PM

I'm looking to switch out a 6 cylinder to a small block ford , but I need know which motor mounts I need and where to locate them ?  

XC_Ute XC_Ute
User | Posts: 109 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 11/26/11
09:20 AM

Let's see, you are wanting to change from a six to the V-8 engine which Ford installed on the assembly lines durng the 1963-1965 model year Falcon?

Hummm, seems like the parts Ford used to build the V-8 Falcons on the assembly line are the parts to use, doesn't it?

Hummm, seems like Ford also used the same motor mounts on the early V-8 Mustangs.

Common knowledge, how much research have you done on this???  

StevenBrower StevenBrower
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/28/11
03:55 PM

You and I should compare notes. I'm going to do the same thing. Your's come with an automatic? What tranny will you put with the V8? What engine are you using?/  

XC_Ute XC_Ute
User | Posts: 109 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 12/16/11
08:26 AM

Car Craft Magazine did an article covering the  change over. I don't have my notes with me at this time but there is another topic here on the R & C board where i give the dates of the articles. Look for a topic about V-8 Falcons.  

XC_Ute XC_Ute
User | Posts: 109 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 12/29/11
08:47 AM

Looking at the CC article, forgot that it was the suspension upgrade and not engine installation.

Motor to frame mounts, as suggested in my first post, are sourced from a vendor selling replacement Falcon parts OR the factory mounts as used on the 64-66 Mustang V-8. The 66 has a different design then the earlier versions (through bolt vs vertical stud) so determine which rubber part will be the eaisiest to replace with parts from vendors in your area (Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc.)

Trans cross member will have to be fabricated unless you can find a transmission tailshaft that has the mounting holes on the centerline of the trans (vs 90 degrees/across). Have a new leaf spring made to the correct length duplicating the factory design. There are still a number of this style tailshaft out there as Ford used up the supply over the years before fazing the design out of the books (You never know which Ford had them, Galaxie, Fairlane, Falcons)

A typical "Trans-dopt" tublar cross monut set up for the 65 up Ford C-4 trans mount is the simple way to do this (if you have the correct tailshaft for that application. it is the most common)  

jamesjam jamesjam
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/02/12
06:57 AM

    I put a 289 in my originally 6 cyl '65 Ranchero. I bought the complete motor mount set up from Dearborn Classics. Bolted right in. Let me know if you need anything else.