install a 1974 mustang 2 front end in a 1937 chev. truck

Rod & Custom
Item Posts    Sort Order

install a 1974 mustang 2 front end in a 1937 chev. truck

cwo57 cwo57
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/01/09
02:03 PM

can some one tell me what degree i need to set the cross member on before i weld it in? thanks wayne  

nsmead100 nsmead100
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 06/07/09
12:20 PM

I would contact an alignment shop, they can tell you what the caster angle should be and then you can work it out from there. Of course if your crossmember is stripped that might be difficult in which case try someone like Fatman Fabrication. Remember though to have the frame at the attitude that it will be when your ride is finished, when you set in the crossmember. Or at least know what it will be and compensate accordingly.
Good luck,
Scott  

rustynuts1 rustynuts1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/19/09
09:09 AM

With your frame at desired rake set your crossmember at 0 deg, cross check with a bubble level.
I built a 37 2 yrs ago and 38,000 mi,no probs at all !!!  

WriterDennis WriterDennis
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/22/12
09:02 PM

As I mention in my book, Hot Rod Body and Chassis Builder's Guide and agreeing with the previous posts, this is why it is critical to know (and preferably have on hand) the wheels and tires that you plan to use when the vehicle is finished when you are building the chassis (or installing a front crossmember). If the chassis is level and you install the crossmember level, and then put tall tires in the back, it puts the entire front end in a bind. So, the frame should sit at ride height (at the correct rake), with or without the wheels and tires installed, and then mount the crossmember at zero degrees. Some installations will require the crossmember to be installed at 1 to 2 degrees, which will increase caster, but since Rustynuts1 has one of these trucks, I would go with his suggestion of zero. Just remember that zero is with the entire chassis at the desire rake.

Dennis  

ksblujeans ksblujeans
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/06/12
06:40 AM

Im denny a disabled Air Force vet, I'm trying to install a Mustang 2 in the front of my 1941 Chevy 2 dr sedan, the suspension was taken from a 1935 Ford coupe, I'm having trouble figuring out what all needs to be level before tack welding it in, my floors concert but far from level, I have the body seperated from the frame but sitting on it, I cut my frame width to slide the crossmember into place, I've set my front frame horns at the height I want in the front and rear the same, where do I check for level on the crossmemeber and does the frame have to be level with the floor? I'm working on a very small budget and most parts, the frontsuspension, engine and 9 inch Ford were given to me by my brother-in-law.  

WriterDennis WriterDennis
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 08/01/12
06:49 PM

While doing research for my book, Hot Rod Body and Chassis Builder's Guide, I found out that the previous post is the correct way to go. That is why it is best to have the wheels and tires that you are going to use available when you are setting up the chassis. Some articles have said that big name rod shops set the chassis at level and then rake the crossmember, but that leads to questions such as this.

So, long story made just slightly longer, set the chassis the way you want it to set, then set the crossmember in at zero. Quick, simple, and easy to remember.

Hope this helps.

Dennis