Quad 4 or Ecotech n 1958 Chevy Del Ray 4 Door Cruiser

Rod & Custom
Item Posts    Sort Order

Quad 4 or Ecotech n 1958 Chevy Del Ray 4 Door Cruiser

ARTEMIS1759 ARTEMIS1759
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/22/08
03:11 PM

I was wondering if you guys think this combo would work.  The Ecotech has around 260 hp/260 lb.ft. toque with the turbo.  The only reason I am thinking of this is I have a Quad 4 that needs rebuilt and I want to build a cruiser for once and don't need alot of power just enough to move it.  The inline 235 in it has I believe 140 hp and 195 lb.ft. toque.  If I keep the 235 I would like to put an injection system that incorporates 3 stromberg 97s as throttle bodies and direct port injection, with direct spark ignition like the LS series motors.  

RandC Kevin RandC Kevin
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 10/23/08
11:28 AM

Anything is possible but that's a whole lot of car to move around with a small 4-cylinder engine. The fab work and adapter to get it to work with a rear wheel drive might be more work than it would be worth. I'd stick with the 235 or go with a small-block.  

ARTEMIS1759 ARTEMIS1759
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/23/08
09:25 PM

Well, the adapter for RWD is actuallyfairly cheap along With having to build custom mounts.  But, like you said I'm not sure on if it will push it around.  But, the torque numbers and hp are close.  But, I was wondering if it would be worth it as a cruiser gas milage wise, because then I could use it as a daily driver.  Even though I'm not as concerned about MPG, it would be neat to get like 20 or more.It gets 28-32 in my Beretta but that car is about 2000 lbs lighter too.  I wish there was someone out there that has performed this swap or something like it into a car heavier than a Model A or duece.  Ah well, just throwing it out their.  Who knows, maybe I'll give it a shot with a motor plate.  

ekimball ekimball
Enthusiast | Posts: 273 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 10/24/08
03:01 PM

Yeah, for a car that size I would imagine you would be putting a ton of stress on the little four banger, even with the 260 HP/TQ  

jonrat10 jonrat10
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/24/08
05:38 PM

Confused The little four banger may have similar horsepower and torque ratings, but most probably at a much higher RPM range which would be a pain in a heavy car.  

lowchevypickup lowchevypickup
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/09/08
06:12 PM

Where could i get the adapter for the ecotec motor. i have a 52 chevy p/u on an s-10 frame and think this would be a great motor. ive found some pretty cheap and my truck is fairly light. any help would be great. also what about the drive by wire throttle body?  

tinindian1942 tinindian1942
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 11/10/08
05:32 PM

I'd be inclined to agree...lotta car for the engine. I think it would feel tied to a tree on take off and mileage wouldn't be that much better than a small V-8 because of how hard it would work to get it moving and keep it there, specially if you live somewhere hilly.
On the other hand ya could prolly set a lawn chair next to it in the engine bay to work on it ! Smile