Pre '64 Galaxie 500 Suspension Change

Rod & Custom
Item Posts    Sort Order

Pre '64 Galaxie 500 Suspension Change

mick6008 mick6008
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/30/08
04:22 PM

Has anyone changed out a front end on a pre '64 (1962 in specific) front end? My son is inerested in rodding out my '62 Galaxie 500. My concern is that the stock control arms, drum brakes and suspension is inadequate for any high performance changes. When I met with Jegs people they said they had nothing for '62. They start with the more race made '64. I am greatfull for any helpfull information.  

tinindian1942 tinindian1942
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 10/02/08
05:06 PM

As long as everything is solid, and in good working order, the suspension in your car should be fine unless he's plannin' on runnin' road courses or something to that effect.
I'd put all new bushings (polyuretane if possible) and b-joints, tie rods, etc,some good gas shocks and convert it to disc brakes.
The only other part that sux on these cars is the factory power steering that mounts a slave cylinder on the drag link with a myriad of hoses and other crap. They are prone to leakage and slop in the wheel and are nearly impossible to fix, and often cause headaches clearing headers, etc.
Seems to me I seen an ad somewhere to convert that to a more modern steering setup somewhere, but can't place it right now (more gray hair than gray matter)
Maybe someone else here has seen it?
Other than that you could do some measuring and see if the front frame section from an 70's LTD or comparable is similar in demensions....  

mick6008 mick6008
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 10/03/08
09:17 AM

Thanks Tin,

This car doesn't have PS, though, it may be something I wish to add.

He's just looking to make a street rod. We're thinking of a 390 ci for the power, which I understand was the largest engine available for the '62 Gal 500, and an in line auto-manual for quick shift on the strip and simple uniqueness, providing we are able to locate a nice steering column from a floor shift Gal. Otherwise we may simply go with an auto with the shifter remaining on the column. The interior is about a 9.5 out of 10, so I hate to change much in there. Over all I'm hoping he just wants to build a sleeper. It saves money and still performs.

I'll have to get with him to see how to change over to disc. The extra weight of the big block can be compensated by heavier springs and shocks. The only other issue will be finding good wheels for the wider tires.  

jalopy45 jalopy45
User | Posts: 198 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 10/04/08
09:35 AM

Go to www.ssbrakes.com , they have a conversion kit to swap you over to disc brakes. The only change you might want to make to the suspension is to change the springs and shocks to something a little more performance oriented as most of these cars were engineered for smooth comfortable rides. The control arms with new bushings and spindles will handle anything you can dish out.