bOSS 429 Block damage

Rod & Custom
Item Posts    Sort Order

bOSS 429 Block damage

cobrajetken cobrajetken
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/13/08
08:29 AM

I recently purchased a Boss 429 original engine block for a project car I am working on. It is an original 1969 production car block which was recently bored .040 oversize. The guy I bought it from is a professional high perfromance Ford engine builder. He assembled the engine for me and shipped it to me. When I received the engine I noticed an apparant repair on the oil filter side of the engine block around the engine motor mount holes. It is a smooth patch extending from the bottom of the block up to the area of the mount holes. He assures me that it is an old repair that does not extend to the inside of the block. He said it might have been from a "freeze crack" caused by engine coolant freezing. He further assured me that this repair will not cause me any problems. I will not install and run the engine for possibly a year or so. Can an engine block be effectively repaired? Is there a way of testing it to be sure it won't cause a major failure. Should I run it now to be sure? I can send picures of the reaired area. Thanks.  

Burtreyn0lds Burtreyn0lds
User | Posts: 65 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 08/15/08
02:05 PM

Cracked blocks can be bad news, or it could be fine for years. do you have a pictures?  

Roadsters.com Roadsters.com
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/17/08
04:20 PM

You would expect that a reputable performance engine builder would warranty the block, after pointing out any of the block's shortcomings before selling it. Was the repair mentioned before you bought it?

Dave Mann
(602) 233-8400
http://www.roadsters.com/