What changes Mr. Editor???

Rod & Custom
Item Posts    Sort Order

What changes Mr. Editor???

XC_Ute XC_Ute
User | Posts: 109 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/09/07
08:14 AM

Am I the only one who noticed the editor's remark that he intends to change the look of R & ***

That alone is a good reason from Prime Media to yank the title off the market!

R & C has always been the icon of those of us who are the ecentric auto buffs and most of us still shed tears because the photos no longer have the thin black borders of the Quinn and Peterson days.

We got rid of one editor who had the idea "we" wanted to see motorcycles in our Bible, the present editor is the next.  

XC_Ute XC_Ute
Posted: 02/27/07
09:18 AM

I don't like the red header panel being used. Looks like one of those cheap throw away found at the doors of supermarkets.

There was nothing "wrong" with R & C before being bought by Peterson and once Peterson stopped acting like R & C was an unwanted red-haired step child there were some improvements.

With all the rat rod oriented mags that hit the market during the last few years why change the one magazine they mimic?

Bring back the black ruling around the photos!  

RandC Kevin RandC Kevin
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 02/27/07
05:47 PM

Before you start complaining let's wait and see what it looks like. The tweeks are small and with a traditional flavor that will fit the mag.  

jalopy45 jalopy45
User | Posts: 198 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 05/09/07
11:25 AM

Sees to me that the changes are minor and except for the hiatus R&C took way back when, it has always given the home builder the best bang for the buck. I've been reading it since the 60's and have lots of the 50's issues when Petersen launched the magazine.  Kudos Kevin!!  

XC_Ute XC_Ute
Posted: 05/19/07
07:50 AM

Why alter the one magazine that was the lone survivor of the "old days"? R & C has always been a cult mag, always in disagreement with its current owners. That's what makes R & C unique.

That's what USED to make R & C's readers unique but the editors of late seem to want to attract "outsiders" that aren't fit to stand in the shadows of R & C. (And before you throw in the need to generate income through new readers explain how the low sales volume "cult" magazines like Rodz seemed to NOT have that problem?)

Doesn't the understanding that you have MANY readers that have been with the magazine for the last 50 years mean anything? We buy into the "cult image" of the original R & C. Loose that image and you loose core supporters.  

Balloonfoot_Bodine Balloonfoot_Bodine
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 06/04/08
10:47 PM

I figured since I make a pretty good living as a girl's bicycle seat inspector, I too am qualified to comment on Rod & Custom Ute. I've been been buying Rod & Custom Ute magazine in Sydney ever since my family moved here from Perth. As a family unit we are glad Rod & Custom Ute no longer has stupid moronic little frames around the pictures because its hard on Grandma Snarp's eyes. As far as cult images go, I think the Charles Manson Singers' new album Rebel Rodz From Satan's Mom's House sums it up. Thank you and please run more stories on motorcycles.  

Popeye7 Popeye7
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 06/06/08
04:47 PM

Don't change the look of Rod & Custom one bit. Those of us who have been reading R&C for 50 years love your digest-size format, the newsprint paper, all black-and-white pages, and dark green ink. Please never change.  

ekimball ekimball
Enthusiast | Posts: 273 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 06/09/08
05:04 PM

Icon QuoteBalloonfoot_Bodine:
I figured since I make a pretty good living as a girl's bicycle seat inspector, I too am qualified to comment on Rod & Custom Ute. I've been been buying Rod & Custom Ute magazine in Sydney ever since my family moved here from Perth. As a family unit we are glad Rod & Custom Ute no longer has stupid moronic little frames around the pictures because its hard on Grandma Snarp's eyes. As far as cult images go, I think the Charles Manson Singers' new album Rebel Rodz From Satan's Mom's House sums it up. Thank you and please run more stories on motorcycles.

Confused  Confused

Huh?  

XC_Ute XC_Ute
Posted: 06/12/08
07:38 AM

Make this change:

- Get issues on the news stands in Central Ohio (found 2 May issues at Barnes & Nolbles, none in grocery stores). They didn't appear until Ma7 27th.

- Make some effort to get my subscription issue in my mailbox once and awhile. 2 were not delivered so far this year, May's came a 1 1/2 weeks after May 20.  

XC_Ute XC_Ute
Posted: 10/06/08
07:27 AM

Okay, I have seen worthy improvements in R & C and thank you Mr. Editor. Like to see more articles such as the one covering making new upper door frame/window frames for the 33/34 Ford as the article displayed a process I had never seen or thought of before.

That's what I expect from R & C, a leader, not a follower.  

XC_Ute XC_Ute
Posted: 02/04/09
11:08 AM

Okay, the term "changes" brought the wrong thoughts to mind.

I hadn't been thinking in terms of taking things back to where R & C should have been today if the recent editors hadn't strayed off the path.

When I reviewed the last two issues a thought came to mind, "This issue is worthy of my R & C collection".

Can't see why other rod magazines don't publish articles that might lead to their reader's hands getting dirty...

Keep up the articles covering sheet metal modifications. You are on the right track Kevin.