How do you put Buick drums on an early ford

Rod & Custom
Item Posts    Sort Order

How do you put Buick drums on an early ford

mike g mike g
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/18/06
05:29 PM

I know that I will need 1942-1948 ford front hubs, but what mods do I have to do to them to make them work?  

Jeff325Window Jeff325Window
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/30/06
09:30 AM

There are several ways to accomplish this, including using the original Buick backing plates or 53-56 F250 backing plates.

Arguably the most popular and best looking way is to use 39-48 Lincoln rear backing plates. In some ways it's the easiest as well. Wilson Welding sells repop backing plates and hubs already machined to accept Buick drums.

My dad runs a set on his 32 roadster and we also just finished a set for my 32 coupe. I can send you a Word file I typed up as a cheat sheet if you give me your email. I can be reached at Ridge1992@yahoo.com

A couple of things I learned along the way. Use 46-48 hubs as they require less machining and will be stronger as a result.

Much easier to find front deep recess Lincoln backing plates can be used with a lot of careful grinding of the spindle and welding a small pocket in the backing plate. At one time I saw where a spacer had been used in this combo, but it is much harder to do than the rears.

In the end it was more effort than I thought it would be. Just finding the parts took several monthes. To do it over again I would probably just pay Wilson welding for the hubs and plates.

It is expensive compared to the disc brake conversions out there. A quick rundown is this.
Figure on 300 for a good set of the early 45 fin drums.(much less for the 90 fin type) 400 for repop plates, 225 for repop hubs (already machined), another 125 for the bearings. It was 300 to have my drums polished.

So you could easily have about 1200 wrapped up in a set if you didn't get any swap meet bargains and can't do your own machining. I mention it only because as I got inot it parts, repops or used, were much more than I had thought. In the end though, they are ***

Drums should be no more than 12.09" id or GM considers them worn out. There was a guy in NY somewhere who would reline them but I can't remember who.

There is also the SO CAl finned aluminum disc covers. IMHO they look find of like a cheap suit, but it is a popular way to go.  

PLY FAN PLY FAN
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/10/06
12:16 AM

40-48 drums are hard to find,and not the best either. Consider using Speedways disc brake kit and get a set of 82-92 camaro rear brake baking plates and aluminum drums and with a little adapting and welding(emergency brake holes) you have self adjusting brakes that I think look better than buicks.
All I used from the speedway kit was the adapter and bearings, for a hub use early chev front hubs,be sure and keep correct side so the self adjusters work.Am doing a step-by-step illistration with pics, should be done soon.  

Tom-#008 Tom-#008
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 12/11/06
10:01 PM

You can find some drums on Ebay that the seller claims to be within specs. I have run across some clean drums in yards in Arizona before also. Around here (OHIO) the older cars in yards are few and far between plus the drums will be corroded.

I have been saving some complete '47 Ford front brakes for just such a use for a long time. Next time I go out southwest I'm going to be prepared to pick up some drums and backing plates.

Tom